Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Where the mind is without fear....!!"

Much has been said and done with the recent controversy sparked in “Mumbai” about “NORTH INDIANS” being unwelcome and targeted in the financial capital of India. I was watching NDTV while getting ready for my office this morning. A report on how a bunch of school children have written a letter to Raj Thakrey requesting him to stop dividing Mumbai and India itself, which they are couriering to the man in the “cheap lime light”. I was honestly surprised by the awareness in the younger generation today. It was a pleasant one. Our future rests secure in such hands.

But what caught my attention was the reporter ending the report with these lines from Rabindra nath Tagore “Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;”

This was my school prayer which I use to dread attending every afternoon during our lunch interval. I simply didn’t understand the meaning behind those lines. Today I just remembered each and every word from the same. I understood the meaning today itself. Also, how important it is to have as a prayer. I think the Indian Governing structure should tape these lines (Since most of the politicians are illiterate) and ask each politician to memorise it before venturing into politics. “A political must” or “The eligibility criteria”. May be then they would understand that India was envisioned not as a country but as a religion, a way of living, living the way of freedom and democracy. I am not writing this to be preachy neither do I have any political ambitions myself. Just wanted to share this simple yet appropriate composition by Rabindra nath tagore. So that whoever reads it should at least give a thought of keeping India ONE! This could do good for Raj in specific.


“Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the
dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action--
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.”



Father, also let my contrymen awake......

3 comments:

aria said...

this mumbai thing has been going on and on .. one of the Thackeray chaps is still at it .. though its bound to sadden most of us .. thankfully there aren't many takers ..
nice post .. I love that verse too..

Agrim said...

i remmbr "Rang de basanti" in which freedom and justice were not only words but tools used to achieve ends...not only at the time of Indian independence but in post indian fallacy as well....these were not momentary tools but ones whose edges become sharper on constant usage...which is wat needs to b done everytime v hav a realistic situation as well!!..

Casperbaba said...

@aria

completely agree with you....
thanks alot!

@aggi

dude! this was a shocker from ur end bro... surprisingly enuff u made whole lot of sense! thanks alot.