Sunday, February 24, 2008

The old man

“A happy day would have its moments of sadness too.”

Yesterday was no different. A Play at Ranga shankara. An Auto Ride. A cup of black caffeine with grilled chicken sandwich. A pitcher of chilled beer. A rocker of a night at opus lounge. Right in-between was this old man!

I always have had this bad habit of walking fast even if I am with friends. They usually chat up and lag behind. Walking on Brigade road in Bangalore at 7:30 can be quiet a daunting task. But still, right before the junction my eyes met with this old man. He said something to me but I couldn’t hear what he said. So, I bent down closer to his mouth to understand his words. Very politely he said “sir, do you know English?” His voice was very soft and mellow like the 72 years had brushed and polished it over and over again.

I knew exactly what he was going to ask me. But this time I didn’t mind. I saw the ‘honest pain’ in his eyes. Indeed I did. It was disturbing. A man of that age inching his way through the ‘restless mob of senseless and careless party Hoppers’ and no one notices him. I use the word shameful here and I feel I am still being polite. He was in need of help all I did was ‘help’ him in whatever small way I could. I just asked him to bless me and my friends in return. His old hands lifted in prayer for us and touched our heads one at a time. It’s been long that I had felt such relief and silence in my head. I knew he blessed all of us. He was dignified, honest and humble. His story kind of affected me in a strange way. I somehow could understand all his pain but felt completely helpless because I couldn’t help him more.

The realisation of how heartless can people be is something that really bothers me a lot. Everyone is lost in their own worries and sorrows. When was the last time we made someone smile? Remember? Remember the happiness that you got in return making that person smile. I believe that I am the devil yet I understand the pain of a human being, why can’t other humans do the same?

4 comments:

Shvetz said...

Speechless..!!
such things turn me down but then i wonderrr does it matter..??
My concern to a helpless being..seems a drop in the endless ocean..
unseen unheard n unfolded loads are such lives...
silent n mute is a spectator thaz YOU n thaz ME..
Helpless..!!

Casperbaba said...

"let thy voice scream out loud in the ocean,
let thy drop fall into the ocean deep,
let thy be the drop that kick's off the 7th wave pf the sea."

much appriciated thoughts!
thanks alot!

aria said...

Very moving blog..
most of us are obsessed with our own little world and ignore the bigger picture.. besides, there is a general apathy toward the aged...

Casperbaba said...

@aria

wel... frankly it not about looking at the big picture at all.. its boils down to just simple human emotions. The feeling of sadness and pain when u see some1 else who's helpless in pain. Its as simple as lovin one and all living species... its understanding and resiprocating to feelings that all humans share... and somehow i feel we all r driting away from it by the day. I remeber that dialogue from tarey zameen par....
"KHAYAAL KARNA kisko kehtey hain?".... BAs that's exactly my point....!!!