Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Intoxicated on speed

From the moment I turn on the ignition of a car I am transcended into another world. The sound of a running engine is fascinating every single time I take on the wheels. A good habit nurtured since my early days of driving is to wear a seat belt. It’s like the belt hugs you tenderly besides the seat reassuring safety. It’s a nice cosy feeling for me. First few seconds inside a car just before the wheels go for a spin.

The first gear is like a soft yet aggressively timed push towards 4500 RPM. The second gear, more reassured drags to kiss 5000 RPM. The engine begins to yawn a bit. The third Shift – my favourite, opens the vocal chords of the engine and like a lion it roars louder by every passing notch on the RPM meter smoothly shaking hands with 6000 RPM. Now the ride becomes intoxicating. The fourth shift where I flirt with danger. 6500 RPM not even bothered to look at the speedometer. Final shift, my licence to freedom. Obnoxiously fast yet cruising serenity is what I feel within me. For the shortest span of time I have a glimpse at the speedometer. It proudly boasts and displays out loud the job that it’s cut out for. Its loud silence! It’s silent to the world outside. Yet a playground for my thoughts. All those moments of pure speed has been intoxicating for past 7 years. My intoxication of speed gives me peace that I shall always seek.

No comments: